DIRECTIONS (Qs. 11–15) : In the following questions, out of the four alternatives, choose the one which best expresses the meaning of the given word. (SSC CGL 1st Sit. 2011)
- Loquacious (a) Talkative (b) Slow (c) Content (d) Unclear
- Vindictive (a) Imaginative (b) Accusative (c) Spiteful (d) Aggressive
- Inclement (a) Selfish (b) Active (c) Unfavourable (d) Inactive
- Genial (a) Cordial (b) Unselfish (c) Careful (d) Specific
- Accrue (a) Accumulate (b) Accommodate (c) Grow (d) Suffice
DIRECTIONS (Qs. 16-20) : out of the four alternatives, choose the one which best expresses the meaning of the given word. (SSC CGL 2nd Sit. 2011)
- Barren (a) Good (b) Wholesome (c) Unproductive (d) Profitable
- Infamy (a) Notoriety (b) Glory (c) Integrity (d) Familiarity
- Intrepid (a) Hesitant (b) Fearless (c) Extrovert (d) Rash
- Prodigal (a) Exclusive (b) Productive (c) Lavish (d) Carefree
- Perspicuous (a) Relevant (b) Precise (c) Brief (d) Clear
11.(a) The word Loquacious (Adjective) means : talking a lot; talkative. Option (a) is the right synonym while others have different meanings.
12. (c) The word Vindictive (Adjective) means : trying to harm or upset somebody or showing that you want to, because you think that they have harmed you; spiteful; revengeful. Option (c) spiteful is the correct synonym as it means-having or showing a desire to harm, anger or defeat someone.
13. (c) The word Inclement (Adjective) means : not pleasant; unfavourable; cold, wet etc.
14. (a) The word Genial (Adjective) means : friendly and cheerful; affable; cordial.
15. (a) The word Accrue (Verb) means : to increase over a period of time; to allow a sum of money or debts to grow over a period of time. Therefore grow in the correct mearest word. 16. (c) The word Barren (Adjective) means: not good enough for plants to grow on it; infertile unproductive.
17. (a) The word Infamy (Noun) means: the state of being well known for something bad or an evil act notoriety. .
18. (b) The word Intrepid (Adjective) means : very brave not afraid of danger or difficulties fearless.
19. (c) The word Prodigal (Adjective) means : too willing to spend money or waste time, energy or materials extravagant lavish.
20. (b) The word Perspicuous (Adjective) means precise clear and accurate.